Friday, June 29, 2012

Fp.II

EDIT: Wow, apparently I never published this part, saved as draft this whole time. Well, here it is.

In case no one is aware at this point, this is a short story that I am writing that is loosely based on my recent trip to the coast. Enjoy.


Friday pt. II

It's been raining all day but fortunately I have quiet a large roll of thick plastic that I was hanging up and taping what I can in the wet, covering as much of myself an the bare wood. It feels good to light up that cigarette in my car at the end of the day, taking in that first drag as if it's my last. I had a cigarette an hour ago so honestly it isn't that big of a deal.
I pull out of the driveway of the million dollar estate and head around the corner to the freeway. Of course, this is Puget Sound so there are plenty of freeways, and this isn't the one I need to be on. In fact, I have to get on this one, then another, then another. And they all have traffic.
Surprisingly, the first freeway is relatively clear. I think to myself, "Hmmm. I wonder if traffic is going to be that bad?" Thoughts come too soon. As I merge onto I-405, I realize, of course, it is the first weekend of summer and pouring down rain,why wouldn't every damn person in the area be heading out to go camping. A spider crawls out of the Rubberware container of plum tree wood and onto my sleeping bag as I pour myself a beer in an empty coffee cup .
Finally get to I-5 and once again, everyone is still going to enjoy the weekend, as if hundreds and hundreds of Toyotas and Volvos are trying to sniff out each other's rumps. I eventually reach Federal Way, Tacoma and then Olympia. In four hours. Time of my life I am never getting back. The road clears up and off we go. 50 miles per hour, 60 miles per hour, 70, 80. I clutch the steering wheel with my legs and pour another beverage into my coffee cup. Wait, the speed limit is 70.
85. 90. 95.
110 miles per hour.
At this speed a car can change lanes rather quickly. I weave through three or four cars, fairly spread out so not as dangerous as it sounds. And the highway was a long straight stretch, perfectly safe. I slow it down after a short amount of time.
I head towards Rainier, Oregon as I pour myself a Rainier. A stuff another can underneath the passenger seat. A sound of empty aluminum vessels rattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment