Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Do iPods Float?

Day 12 of the 15 Day Writing Challenge: Provoke. I am going to take this with me today and see where it takes me, although I tend to do this too much.

Yesterday was one of the most terrible days I have had in quiet some time. Even while driving to work in the morning I knew there was a bad moon rising as I fought back unexplainable tears the whole way, just enough to distort my lower lip. Fight 'em and don't let them out. I get to work and load my arms up with the equipment I need and begin walking down to the dock. Well, I'm not sure how I didn't keep myself from swaying left and then right, and then stepping straight off the dock with my right foot, catching myself in between the dock itself and a neighboring boat, slamming my knee straight down. Ouch.

The day goes on. I have been on this boat countless times. The side has about 8 inches of a deck that you can walk on, holding onto metal rails mounted on the sides as you shimmy along, but this time was different for some reason. To be honest, I am not 100% sure how it even happen. Lost my balance. As I realize I am falling off the side and into the chilly, northwestern water, I try to catch myself on the neighboring boat (once again) and bang my elbow on the side of it as my other knee (the one that hasn't already gotten slammed) bangs down onto the cap rail of the boat I was on. Splash.

So there I am, luckily catching myself halfway, holding on to the side of the little ship, my legs dunked up to my wist. I immediately thought to myself, wow, I am sure glad I don't have my wallet on me and my iPod is in my chest pocket. And the chest pocket is unzipped! Phew. Thought too soon.

I shimmy my way over to the dock and as I am pulling myself out a little "sploosh" happens right in front of me. My iPod had slipped right out of my pocket and into the water. Needless to say, we all now know iPods don't float.

Lumps on both knees, a bruised elbow and a sinking iPod. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment