Saturday, July 7, 2012

Friday Pt. VII

Damn I love that first cup of coffee in the morning. Still have the same routine in the morning even though I am jobless, just starts two hours later. It is quiet nice and it's too bad that I'm not more established as a writer otherwise I could have just done this full time. Pipe dreams, you gotta love 'em.

Friday Pt. VII

I pull out another beer from the fridge and slowly pour it into the tilted glass, making sure the beer is able to make it to the rim without a thick head. Dinner is ready and I stand behind by the table and wait for mom, her fiancee and sis to make their plates. I've never been the one to rush to be the first in the food line. There is usually always food leftover, so what's the rush? My mother and her fiancee head to the living room couches to watch TV while eating and Nico and I sit at the small, cafe style table in the kitchen. We laugh and talk about board games we played and crazy antics we got ourselves into whilst stuffing our faces with the tacos that were made for the evening. I show her a little game I recently got, called Nest, involving tiles with insects on them. I have only been beaten at this game twice and both those times I was trying to help the opponent make good decisions (which obviously worked). After we finish up eating I talk her into playing Nest with me. We set it up on the coffee table in the living room and I go over the rules with her.

Nest involves strategy. She beat me the first game. I beat her the second and she beat me again. Mind you, Nico is very smart. Book smart. No common sense. I decide to stop playing while I'm ahead... well, not as far behind anyway.

All four of use sit around the television and watch a movie. Personally, I can't stand get-togethers that involve watching the TV. What is the point of being together if we are just going to sit and stare mindlessly at a screen? Oh sure, there are the people that laugh and have a good time while watching, but I hate that shit! If I am watching a movie let's say, I want to be focused and in it. I do not dig on being talked to while I am trying to get inside the characters and plot. Back to reality, the movie we are watching is funny and everyone is smiling so I let it be. I notice my anxiety is pretty high.

"When is Jobin supposed to get here?", my mother asks.

"Should be anytime."

My mother's fiancee begins to get up out of the recliner. He has to wake up at 3:00AM for work. "I think it's about that time. There is some rope and a huge tarp in the garage for you guys to take if it starts to rain. I'm hittin' the sack."


"Thank you so much. I'll bring it back just the way it is."

I get up and walk through the screen door to the front porch to light up a smoke. A red pickup truck drives up and parks in front of my mother's house. Jobin has arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment