Thursday, June 14, 2012

Surf Clamming

Day 8 of the 15 Day Writing Challenge. This is my finished blog post. Ha!

God damn I can't wait until There is a decent weekend down on the Oregon coast. Gettin' my shellfish license so I can get some crabbin' and clammin' in and then head on over to Cannon Beach and hit the waves. It will be the first time I have ever surfed in the wild Oregon Pacific, but I am definitely looking forward to it. There is something about the allure of the Pacific Northwest surfer that fascinates me. And the sport of surfing itself is one of the most peaceful practices I have ever had the pleasure doing. You literally become one with the ocean, feeling the ups and downs, listening for it to whisper in your ear, "Get ready, I'm about to give you a little taste buddy."

Sure, I lived in Maui, Hawaii for a couple years and you most certainly cannot top the waves and beaches there, but I grew up in Oregon and the coast is most definitely where I want to be when I retire. The smell of sea salt in the air always brings a smile to my face, and the giant clumps of frothy sea bubbles that collect on the sandy beaches... well, that doesn't really bring a smile to my face but the story I was told while growing up does. My dad used to tell me that those masses of salty, smelly air pockets was whale blubber and it was whale shedding season. Yes, I believed that for a long time.

I am yearning for the coast my friends. I miss it. I need it. I don't know what it is but I feel so calm or "at peace" if you will, whenever I walk on those Oregon beaches. In fact, here is one of my favorite pictures of my wife and seesters on the coast. Amazing huh? This was a couple years ago and I don't remember exactly where it was at, but I believe somewhere around Yachats.


No comments:

Post a Comment